- People in Parapsychology: XIX: Marilyn Schlitz March 31, 2015Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation I am glad to present an interview with Dr. Marilyn Schlitz, who I believe I first met in a Parapsychological Association Convention. Marilyn, who has a PhD in anthropology, has held various positions at the Institute of Noetic Sciences, among them President, Chief Executive Officer, and Director […]
- The Psychology of Recollection of Previous Lives March 22, 2015Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation The following article is a report of psychological studies of American children that say they remember previous lives. “Psychological Evaluation of American Children Who Report Memories of Previous Lives,” by Jim Tucker and F. Don Nidiffer (Journal of Scientific Exploration, 2014, 28, 585-596). For reprints write to […]
- Works from the Past: I. Charles Richet’s Traité de Métapsychique (1922) March 8, 2015Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation Traité de Métapsychique by Charles Richet. Paris: Félix Alcan, 1922. Pp. 815. Available online at Gallica, Google Books, and Hathi Trust. Although overviews of psychical research such as the one reviewed here are appreciated, they are not generally considered to be particularly important or influential beyond […]
- People in Parapsychology: XIX: Marilyn Schlitz March 31, 2015
Carpenter’s basic premise is that even if psi is currently anomalous in terms of known physical and neurobiological mechanisms, it is not psychologically anomalous. Like memories of past experiences, subliminal stimuli, and unconscious motives, psi is a nonconscious, continuously present resource in the development of all conscious experience.
In arriving at a conscious thought, perception, or intended action, we nonconsciously combine pertinent information from all these resources.. . . . Carpenter’s First Sight theory integrates many previously scattered and little understood findings in psi research and is richly generative in suggesting new lines of research. Overall, the theory constitutes a transformational contribution to both psi research and the psychology of consciousness.
Daryl J. Bem (Professor Emeritus, Cornell University), ESP is not a Psychological Anomaly, a review of First Sight: ESP and Parapsychology in Everyday Life. PsycCRITIQUES, Vol 57(50), 2012.
- In this engaging and beautifully crafted book Jim Carpenter shows in remarkable depth and detail how situating the paranormal in the context of other preconscious receptive and expressive processes allows us to understand a host of existing findings in a way that makes excellent psychological sense – a significant theoretical achievement that should command the attention of parapsychologists and mainstream psychologists alike. —Edward F. Kelly, Ph.D. Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, University of Virginia
Tag Archives: psychic abilities
The First Sight Model asserts that a psychic connection to the world is going on all the time for everyone. If that is so, someone might ask why everyone isn’t having psychic experiences (ESP or PK) all the time? The … Continue reading