- Quality Courses in Parapsychology October 27, 2014Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Visiting Scholar, Rhine Research Center While parapsychology is an underdeveloped academic field, many of us involved in it have been concerned for years about the lack of proper training and education in the field (for my distinctions between training and education click here). Recent discussions of the problems with this enterprise […]
- Recent Articles about Out-of-Body Experiences: II October 23, 2014Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Visiting Scholar, Rhine Research Center Alvarado, C.S. (2011). On doubles and excursions from the physical body, 1876–1956. Journal of Scientific Exploration, 25, 563-580. “This Essay Review is about the ideas of a group of authors who contributed to constructing and maintaining the concept that some principle inherent in human being […]
- Parapsychology and Psychology Online Conference October 18, 2014Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Visiting Scholar, Rhine Research Center Nancy Zingrone and I are organizing a small online conference about “Parapsychology and Psychology: Research and Theory.” This will take place on November 1 and 2 of the current year. As stated in the conference page, where you will find information about registration: “On November 1st […]
- Quality Courses in Parapsychology October 27, 2014
Carpenter’s basic premise is that even if psi is currently anomalous in terms of known physical and neurobiological mechanisms, it is not psychologically anomalous. Like memories of past experiences, subliminal stimuli, and unconscious motives, psi is a nonconscious, continuously present resource in the development of all conscious experience.
In arriving at a conscious thought, perception, or intended action, we nonconsciously combine pertinent information from all these resources.. . . . Carpenter’s First Sight theory integrates many previously scattered and little understood findings in psi research and is richly generative in suggesting new lines of research. Overall, the theory constitutes a transformational contribution to both psi research and the psychology of consciousness.
Daryl J. Bem (Professor Emeritus, Cornell University), ESP is not a Psychological Anomaly, a review of First Sight: ESP and Parapsychology in Everyday Life. PsycCRITIQUES, Vol 57(50), 2012.
- In this engaging and beautifully crafted book Jim Carpenter shows in remarkable depth and detail how situating the paranormal in the context of other preconscious receptive and expressive processes allows us to understand a host of existing findings in a way that makes excellent psychological sense – a significant theoretical achievement that should command the attention of parapsychologists and mainstream psychologists alike. —Edward F. Kelly, Ph.D. Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, University of Virginia
Tag Archives: psychic abilities
The First Sight Model asserts that a psychic connection to the world is going on all the time for everyone. If that is so, someone might ask why everyone isn’t having psychic experiences (ESP or PK) all the time? The … Continue reading