- Current Experimental Parapsychology: Evidence for Psi, Edited by Damien Broderick and Ben Goertzel December 16, 2014Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation Evidence for Psi: Thirteen Empirical Research Reports (Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2014, 332 pp., soft cover, $49.95), edited by Damien Broderick and Ben Goertzel, consists of essays written by various authors that explore different areas of experimental parapsychology. The editors state in […]
- Objections to Reincarnation: 1869 December 8, 2014Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation Traditionally there have been many objections to reincarnation in the Spiritualist literature. While this is not the place to discuss this literature, I would like to summarize the content of an early article presented by O.S. Posten in his short note about “Prenatal Existence,” published in […]
- Parapsychology Massively Open Online Course (MOOC) December 2, 2014Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation Nancy Zingrone and I are organizing a free online course, Parapsychology and Anomalistic Psychology: Research and Education, on the social media teaching platform, www.WizIQ.com, to start Monday January 5th, 2015 and complete Friday February 14th, 2015. The course will be marketed by the Wi […]
- Current Experimental Parapsychology: Evidence for Psi, Edited by Damien Broderick and Ben Goertzel December 16, 2014
Carpenter’s basic premise is that even if psi is currently anomalous in terms of known physical and neurobiological mechanisms, it is not psychologically anomalous. Like memories of past experiences, subliminal stimuli, and unconscious motives, psi is a nonconscious, continuously present resource in the development of all conscious experience.
In arriving at a conscious thought, perception, or intended action, we nonconsciously combine pertinent information from all these resources.. . . . Carpenter’s First Sight theory integrates many previously scattered and little understood findings in psi research and is richly generative in suggesting new lines of research. Overall, the theory constitutes a transformational contribution to both psi research and the psychology of consciousness.
Daryl J. Bem (Professor Emeritus, Cornell University), ESP is not a Psychological Anomaly, a review of First Sight: ESP and Parapsychology in Everyday Life. PsycCRITIQUES, Vol 57(50), 2012.
- In this engaging and beautifully crafted book Jim Carpenter shows in remarkable depth and detail how situating the paranormal in the context of other preconscious receptive and expressive processes allows us to understand a host of existing findings in a way that makes excellent psychological sense – a significant theoretical achievement that should command the attention of parapsychologists and mainstream psychologists alike. —Edward F. Kelly, Ph.D. Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, University of Virginia
Tag Archives: PK
The First Sight Model asserts that a psychic connection to the world is going on all the time for everyone. If that is so, someone might ask why everyone isn’t having psychic experiences (ESP or PK) all the time? The … Continue reading